I’m seeking beta readers for my next book. The working title is Bernie and the Game Master.
The plot picks up where Bernie and the Time Lords left off. You’ll recall that Bernie has a job with The Business. He is a Troubleshooter and his task is to ‘fix broken universes.’
Bernie’s next assignment is on world whose purpose is to produce power cells (powerful batteries) the gods use for most of their energy needs. This high-tech world had no problems, but for the last 2-3 centuries, all the trading has been done by robots. Now those robots are breaking down. Bernie sets off to find the people, hoping they’ll fix the robots so trade can resume. He finds the people in tubes deep underground. The entire population is ‘living’ in a virtual world, a world of dungeons and dragons. Bernie must find the Game Master and convince him to wake the people and repair the robots. If he fails, the gods will install a new species to produce the power cells. Bernie discovers that inside the game, he has no godly powers. He recruits his friends, Lenny and Suzie, to join him. Lenny chose the wizard class, and Suzie became a cleric. Bernie must lead his friends on dangerous quests as they try to become worthy of an audience with the Game Master.
WHAT IS A BETA BOOK?
A beta book is not ready to be published. It means I’m looking for input on the plot, the characters, and everything else. I want to know what you think. If you find things you don’t like, then I’ll do everything I can to make the book better.
A beta book has not been professionally edited, so you’ll find minor mistakes (typos, missing words, etc.). After I incorporate your suggestions, that’s when I’ll submit the book to a professional editor for final proofing.
The book will be available in the standard ebook formats (.mobi, .epub, .pdf).
WHAT DOES A BETA READER NEED TO DO?
There are lots of things I want the book to do, and that’s why I need your feedback. I want my readers to:
- like the characters
- ponder big questions
- not want to put the book down
- love the ending
- tell their friends about the book
- and more
That’s why I need your help. I want you to:
- Tell me about characters that are not engaging so I can strengthen or remove them.
- Identify anything that’s confusing (chapters, paragraphs, or dialog).
- Evaluate subplots. The Universe Builders books have lots of subplots. If you think one of them is unnecessary or is not adequately resolved, help me identify it so it can be enhanced or removed.
- Provide feedback on the ending. Can you think of a better one? Was the book satisfying? Does it make you want to read more in the series? Does it motivate you to tell your friends about it?
Remember, you don’t have to worry about typos, misspellings, missing words, or anything like that. My editor will take care of all of those things.
HOW WILL BETA READERS BE SELECTED?
This is what I’m looking for in a beta reader:
- Readers must have read the first book, Bernie and the Putty. (The new book is #5 in The Universe Builders series. If you haven’t read book #1, it will make it harder to understand and evaluate book #5.)
- Readers must have completed at least one online review. (I will select people who gave the book four or more stars. Why? It doesn’t make sense to seek input from someone who didn’t like the book. I can’t please everyone. My goal is to please people who liked the Universe Builders.)
- Readers must agree to provide me with your feedback within forty days of receiving the book.
- Readers must agree to post a written review of the book shortly after it’s published. (See “REVIEWS ARE VERY IMPORTANT” below.)
- If you’re interested in being a beta reader, but haven’t posted a review of Bernie and the Putty, it’s not too late. These are places where you can post it: places to post reviews.
HOW WILL WE COLLECT YOUR FEEDBACK?
To collect your feedback, I’ll have an online form. The form will ask for your thoughts and comments on various aspects of the book.
After reviewing everyone’s feedback, I may ask to speak with some of you by phone. With your permission, I may call to discuss your thoughts in more detail. (This may not be possible or practical for everyone (e.g., different countries, different time zones, etc.)
REVIEWS ARE VERY IMPORTANT
When the book is published, I’ll need as many reviews as I can get. I’m counting on you, my beta readers, to provide the first reviews for the book.
On the day the book is published, I’ll send you an email to let you know. I’ll then ask you to publish your review on Amazon, Goodreads, and other sites.
I’ll also use excerpts from your reviews in some of the book’s promotional material.
For each reviewer, as my way of thanking you, I’ll send you a signed print copy of the new book.
If you’re interested in being a beta reader, let me know. I promise to take your input seriously. And, with your help, I’ll do everything I can to make Bernie and the Game Master the best it can be.