I’m seeking beta readers for my new book. The working title is Bernie and the Time Lords.
The plot takes up where Bernie and the Wizards left off. You will recall that Bernie has a new job with The Business. He is now a Troubleshooter and his task is to ‘fix broken universes.’
Bernie’s next assignment is a world created by the gods to produce a glowing powder that the gods sprinkle on their streets to provide illumination at night. For some reason, the miners have stopped producing it. When Bernie investigates, he finds the problem is more complicated than just renegotiating for a different set of trading goods. Everything on their world seems to keep changing. Could it be that something is changing their past? You know that Shemal (Bernie’s boss) prefers to solve problems by restocking problem planets with more cooperative species. Bernie is under pressure once again to Shemal decides it’s better to do things his way.
WHAT IS A BETA BOOK?
A beta book means it’s not ready to be published. I’m looking for input on the plot, the characters, and everything else. I want to know what you think. If you find things you don’t like, then I’ll do everything I can to make the book better.
A beta book has not been professionally edited, so you will find minor mistakes (typos, missing words, etc.). After I incorporate your suggestions, that’s when I’ll submit the book to a professional editor for final proofing.
The book will be available in the standard ebook formats (.mobi, .epub, .pdf).
WHAT DOES A BETA READER NEED TO DO?
There are lots of things I want the book to do, and that’s why I need your feedback. I want readers to:
- like the characters
- ponder big questions
- not want to put the book down
- love the ending
- tell their friends about the book
- and more
To do this, I need your help to:
- Tell me about characters that are not engaging so I can strengthen or remove them.
- Identify anything that’s confusing (chapters, paragraphs, or even dialog).
- Evaluate subplots. The Universe Builders books have a lot of subplots. If you think one of them is unnecessary or are not adequately resolved, help me identify it so it can be enhanced or removed.
- Provide feedback on the ending. Can you think of a better one? Was the book satisfying? Does it make you interested in reading more in the series? Does it motivate you to tell your friends about it?
Again, you don’t have to worry about typos, misspellings, missing words, or anything like that. My editor will take care of all of those things.
HOW WILL BETA READERS BE SELECTED?
This is what we’re looking for to complete our selection:
- Beta readers are selected from those who sign up online. (See “SO, IF YOU’RE INTERESTED…” below.)
- Readers must have read the first book, Bernie and the Putty.
- Readers must have completed at least one online review. (I will select people who gave the book four or more stars. Why? I don’t think it makes sense to seek input from someone who didn’t like the book. I can’t please everyone. My goal is to please people who like the characters and basic ideas in the Universe Builders.)
- Readers must agree to provide feedback within forty days of receiving the book. To give you an idea, Bernie and the Wizards is 92k words; Bernie and the Putty was a little longer at 112k words.
- Readers must agree to post a written review of the book shortly after it’s published. (See “REVIEWS ARE NEEDED” below.) If you’re interested in being a beta reader, but haven’t yet posted a review of Bernie and the Putty, it’s not too late. These are places where you can post: places to post reviews.
HOW WILL WE COLLECT YOUR FEEDBACK?
To collect your feedback, I’ll create an online form. The form will ask for your thoughts and comments on various aspects of the book.
After reviewing everyone’s feedback, I may request the opportunity to speak with some of you by phone. With your permission, I’ll call some of you to discuss your thoughts and comments in more detail. (This may not be possible or practical for some of you (e.g., different countries, different time zones, etc.)
REVIEWS ARE VERY IMPORTANT
When the book is published, I’ll need as many reviews as I can get. I’m counting on my beta readers to provide the first reviews for the new book.
On the day the book is published, I’ll send each of you an email to let you know. I’ll then ask you to publish your review on Amazon, Goodreads, and other sites.
I’ll also take excerpts from your reviews to use in promotional materials.
For each reviewer, as my way of thanking you for your help, I’ll send a signed print copy of the new book.
SO, IF YOU’RE INTERESTED…
If you’re still interested in being a beta reader, let me know. I promise to take your input seriously and do everything I can to make the book the best it can be.
Thank you very much!