I’m seeking beta readers for my new book. The working title is Bernie and the Time Lords.
The plot picks up where Bernie and the Wizards left off. You’ll recall that Bernie works for The Business. He is now a Troubleshooter and his task is to fix broken universes.
Bernie’s next assignment is a world the gods created to produce a glowing powder the gods sprinkle on their streets to light them up at night. For some reason, the miners have stopped producing. When Bernie investigates, he finds the problem is more complicated than just renegotiating a new trading agreement. Everything on their world keeps changing. Could it be that something is changing their past? You know Shemal (Bernie’s boss) prefers to solve problems by restocking planets with more cooperative species. Bernie is under pressure once again fix the problem before his boss decides it’s easier to wipe out all the people and start over.
WHAT IS A BETA BOOK?
A beta book (also called an Advance Review Copy or ARC) is not ready to be published. It means I’m looking for input on the plot, the characters, and everything else. I want to know what you think. If you find things you don’t like, then I’ll do everything I can to make the book better.
A beta book has not been professionally edited, so you’ll find minor mistakes (typos, missing words, etc.). After I incorporate your suggestions, that’s when I’ll submit the book to a professional editor for final proofing.
The beta book will be available in the standard ebook formats (.mobi, .epub, .pdf).
WHAT DOES A BETA READER NEED TO DO?
There are lots of things I want to accomplish. That why I need your feedback. I want readers to:
- like the characters
- ponder big questions
- not want to put the book down
- love the ending
- tell their friends about the book
- and more
I need your help to:
- Tell me about characters that are not engaging so I can strengthen or remove them.
- Identify anything that’s confusing (chapters, paragraphs, or dialog).
- Evaluate subplots. The Universe Builders books have lots of subplots. If you think one of them is unnecessary or is not adequately resolved, tell me so it can be enhanced or removed.
- Provide feedback on the ending. Can you think of a better one? Was the book satisfying? Does it make you want to read more in the series? Do you want to tell your friends about it?
Remember, you don’t have to worry about typos, misspellings, missing words, or anything like that. My editor will take care of all of those things before the final version.
HOW WILL BETA READERS BE SELECTED?
These are the requirements for being a beta reader:
- They must have read the first book, Bernie and the Putty. (The new book is #4 in The Universe Builders series. If you haven’t read book #1, it will be difficult to understand and evaluate book #4.)
- They must have completed at least one online review. (We will select people who gave the book four or more stars. Why? It doesn’t make sense to seek input from someone who doesn’t like my work. I can’t please everyone. My goal is to please people who liked the Universe Builders.)
- Readers must agree to provide their feedback within forty days of receiving the book.
- Readers must agree to post a written review of the book shortly after it’s published. (See “REVIEWS ARE VERY IMPORTANT” below.)
If you’re interested in being a beta reader, but haven’t posted a review of Bernie and the Putty, it’s not too late. These are places you can post it: places to post reviews.
HOW WILL WE COLLECT YOUR FEEDBACK?
To collect your feedback, I’ve created an online form. The form will ask for your thoughts and comments on various aspects of the book.
As I review everyone’s feedback, I may ask to speak with some of you by phone (with your permission). This may not be possible or practical for everyone (e.g., different countries, different time zones, etc.)
REVIEWS ARE VERY IMPORTANT
When the book is published, I’ll need as many reviews as I can get. I’m counting on you, my beta readers, to provide the first round of reviews.
When the book is published, I’ll send an email to let you know. I’ll then ask you to publish your review on Amazon and other sites.
I may also use excerpts from your reviews in some of the book’s promotional material.
For each reviewer, as my way of thanking you, I’ll send you a signed print copy of the new book. And you will also be acknowledged by name in the book.
SO, IF YOU’RE INTERESTED…
If you’re interested in being a beta reader, let me know. I promise to take your input seriously. With your help, I’ll do my best to make Bernie and the Time Lords an outstanding next book in the Universe Builders Series.